A common misconception that people tend to have is that getting a medical referral is a waste of time, when seeking the help of the best medical specialists or surgeons in Sydney. However, it cannot be further from the truth. To receive a medical referral, one has to first make an appointment to visit a general practitioner. Then, they need to consult with the GP to be referred to a specialist. You might be wondering why there is so much red tape.
The truth is that there is no requirement for one to see a specialist. However, if you want to request a rebate from Medicare, you need to get a medical referral from a GP. Medicare has certain rules that need to be followed if you want to seek financial assistance for seeing a specialist or obstetrician and gynaecologists in Sydney. The rules are mentioned as below.
- The referral has to be dated before or on the day you meet with the specialist or orthopaedic surgeon in Sydney. According to law, general practitioners are not allowed to back date a referral. Therefore, you should never ask a GP to write a back date referral for you.
- A referral issued by a GP is valid for about twelve months. On the other hand, a referral issued by a specialist is only valid for three months.
- The referral has to cover the ongoing management and assessment of the condition.
- If there is a need for the specialist Otolaryngologist – Head and Neck Surgeon in Sydney to continue seeing you to manage your condition, it is possible to seek an indefinite referral. In such a case, there would be no need for you to see a GP every twelve months.
Benefits of a Medical Referral
Besides just the Medicare regulations, it is beneficial to have a general practitioner write a referral letter for you. The benefits of a medical referral are mentioned below.
- A referral letter provides the specialist with information about your past medical history. Thus, it becomes a lot easier for you to communicate with the specialist.
- A general practitioner has better knowledge about the medical field and is in a better position to point you in the right direction. Besides, the GP would recommend the right specialist so that you can seek the best medical care possible.
- You might not know how to choose the right specialist and a GP would be able to assist you with that.
- To meet a specialist, one has to book an appointment in advance. However, since the GP would be familiar with your condition, they can request the specialist to meet you urgently.
- Finding the best medical specialists, doctors and surgeons in Sydney is hard when need to communicate with your GP in writing and a medical referral comes in handy. It allows both the professionals to communicate and collaborate to provide you with the best medical assistance.
Even though a referral might not always be useful, it is always better to get a referral than to pursue your options on your own. The importance of a medical referral cannot be stressed enough. Hence, you should always get a medical referral for a specialist in Sydney.